Owen Reed are recruiting for a Junior HR Advisor to join a top law firm in London. The Junior HR Advisor will report to Head of HR Operations/HR Manager and provide comprehensive and pro-active support to the HR Team. Ensure the HR Team’s effectiveness and efficiency through first class support to colleagues and your client group, working in close collaboration with the HR team.
General HR and administration duties
• Process invoices for the team as requested and be responsible for this process end to end, e.g. chasing up unpaid or overdue invoices
• Order eye care and John Lewis vouchers and distribute to employees when requested
• Maintain up to date process notes for all aspects of the Junior HR Adviser role, including role bible
• Continually review the efficiency of the HR processes and make recommendations.
• Co-ordinating the completion of CQS applications for new joiners when needed.
• Management of Partner (Equity and Fixed-Share) medical screenings through occupational health provider.
• Support the generalist team on a range of ER matters including joiner and leaver processes, introductory period, family leave, absence, disciplinary, performance management, and wellbeing.
• Such support will include liaising directly with your client group, preparing letters, scripts and checklists, updating HR reports, keeping on top of relevant diary dates and providing proactive support for your client group colleagues.
• Conduct inductions, new joiner follow up meetings and exit interviews with client group.
• Support the HR Assistant/Administrator on new joiner actions and ensure these are up to date for your client group.
• Interpret sickness data and monitor self-service system entries for your client group.
• Support the generalist team with sickness absence reviews as requested, e.g. gathering sickness data.
• Assist with the preparation of Occupational Health and Work Station Assessment referrals gathering data and agreeing the referral with the individual as necessary. Manage the appointment administration.
Support for the HR Team:
• Provide administrative and organisational support to the HR Team including typing, preparation and distribution of correspondence and documents and other office related tasks as requested from time to time
• Assist with updates to HR policies when new legislation takes effect or as requested by members of the HR Team
• Support the Reward and Benefits Manager with the collection and submission of monthly timesheets for Consultants on the payroll in time for payroll cut off including monitoring approvals, chasing/following up as appropriate.
• Assist with the checking and approval of expenses from the HR budget.
Human Resources information systems and reporting:
• Be a proficient user of all HR systems including: HR database system (Cascade), SurveyMonkey, Chrome River, and WorkRite. Have a working knowledge of other systems and software including Benefex, Allhires, Sli.do and the Bowland appraisal system (see below)
• Ensure timely and accurate updates to the HR system both proactively and as requested
• Update monthly HR reports for your client groups
• Assist with reports throughout the year when requested
• Ensure that checklists for your client group’s ER matters are up to date at all times and the relevant document is saved in the individual HR files. Follow up with others whose actions are outstanding.
• Ensure compliance with data protection legislation in accordance with the firm’s policies and procedures.
• Prepare the online appraisal system for the annual appraisal processes including the mid-terms, EP appraisals and all staff appraisals.
• Answer systems and process queries received from partners and employees.
• Support the HR team in drafting the communications to the firm about the process.
• Compile regular reports and completion statistics.
• Work with the HR team to continuously improve the system and the process where you or others identify enhancements.
• Be the subject matter expert for the HR team.
• Support the HR Manager by greeting candidates and setting up meetings with the PPC, CFO and any other members of the firm as requested – general organisation of meetings including booking rooms/refreshments and setting up meetings.
• Assist the HR Manager with organisation of lateral hire paperwork.
Filing and scanning:
• Ensure prompt scanning and e-filing of all forms, letters and other documents as requested.
• Ensure compliance with data protection legislation.
• Assisting in any other projects for the firm with the HR Director and others, e.g. ISO audit and Future
• During the firm’s move towards a ‘paper-light’ office, assist with projects to archive hard copy documents from the filing room to offsite storage or for secure shredding (once e-filed)
• Assisting with salary/bonus review tasks.
• Have a working knowledge of the promotions process and support the team as necessary
• Ensure that all internal documents relating to promotions e.g. monthly/LIVE reports and other spreadsheets are updated as appropriate.
• Assist with preparation and management of the HR budget.
• Support on the Social and Sports Committee administration.
• Represent the HR team on the Corporate Responsibility committee.
Partnership with colleagues:
• Provide seamless cover in the absence of the other Junior HR Adviser ensuring that all priority tasks are taken care of in accordance with SLAs and a handover is completed on their return
• Ensure you provide a full handover to your colleagues
• Work alongside the other Junior HR Adviser, particularly at busy times, to ensure deadlines and priorities are adhered to
• Coach and mentor junior members of the team and supervise them on specific tasks.
Skills, Education and Qualifications:
• An experienced HR Assistant looking to take the next step or a Junior HR Adviser
• Previous experience in a professional services/legal Human Resources Team desirable but not essential
• Strong MS Office skills
• Clear speaking, listening and written communication skills
• Ability to multi-task and stay organised and proactive approach
• Excellent attention to detail and commitment to continuous improvement
• The ability to use common sense and judgement
• A collaborative and open approach (within HR)
• Strong customer service and team work ethic
• May be part/fully CIPD qualified. This is not essential.