Owen Reed are recruiting for a Legal Secretary to join a top London law firm based near Liverpool Street Station. The Legal Secretary will work within the Tax team.
The Legal Secretary will perform a variety of secretarial duties for attorneys to whom assigned according to established policies and procedures. Maintain positive contact with clients, attorneys and staff and observes confidentiality of client matters.
Duties of the Legal Secretary
- Follow the Firm's established document processing methods and procedures, creates, spell checks, edits and proofreads work product to ensure accuracy and completeness.
- Transcribe from tapes, handwritten materials and/or dictation.
- Organise and prioritise telephone calls, mail, documents and projects.
- Read and deal with incoming mail. Ensure that outgoing mail is timely delivered. If necessary, route mail to specific delivery service and follows up on timely delivery.
- Schedule and organise activities such as meetings, conferences, travel and departmental activities.
- Establish and maintain calendar and deadline reminder systems.
- Maintain filing and record management system.
- Open new files, maintain all client and general files. Conduct periodic review for possible storage of older files; prepares files to be closed.
- Utilise the Firm’s computer system and software applications.
- Prepare legal documents and provides administrative support for partners and attorneys to whom assigned.
- Exercise discretion and judgement, prioritise effectively and often handle requests from multiple functional areas and external parties.
- Observe confidentiality of attorney-client relationship.
- Work closely with administrative support staff.
- Ensure that attorney time sheets are dealt with in a timely manner.
Perform overload typing, filing, photocopying, as requested by other attorneys.
- Other related duties and projects as required.
Education, Work Experience, Skills
- Ideally 2 years legal secretarial experience in order to gain an understanding of law office policies and procedures and produce accurate legal documents with minimal supervision.
- Excellent English language and grammar skills.
- Ability to transcribe legal documents, correspondence and reports from rough draft or dictation at a level of 70 wpm.
- Ability to organise and prioritise numerous tasks and complete them under time constraints.
- Ability to proofread typed material for grammatical, typographical or spelling errors.
- Interpersonal skills necessary in order to communicate and follow instructions effectively from a diverse group of clients, attorneys and staff to provide information with ordinary courtesy and tact.
- Work occasionally requires additional hours to perform the essential duties of the position.
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently with co-workers; work as a team to accomplish tasks and produce final work product.
- Maintain positive contact with clients, attorneys and staff and observes confidentiality of client matters.